Best products for a man's face in Kenya
Many Kenyan men see facial skincare as an activity reserved for women. It’s not surprising to find a bar of panga soap, a worn-out sponge or a dirty towel as the main skincare products used by some men in the 254.
However, this school of thought often comes into question, especially when you develop acne and other skin conditions as a man.
Not taking care of your face as a man is a sign of poor hygiene and can reduce your self-confidence. It’s also not attractive to most women and it can spread to other areas of your life.
If you can’t take care of your face, chances are you’re neglecting other aspects of your life as well. You’re likely to find yourself in poor physical shape due to not exercising regularly or your finances might not be in order due to a lack of disciplined spending.
The reality is that everyone needs to take care of their face mainly because facial skin tends to be more sensitive than the skin on the rest of the body. This sensitivity is a result of skin cells on the face being smaller than on the rest of the body.
Taking care of your face doesn’t mean spending one hour putting on a face mask or exfoliating. As a man, you only need a few products and a few minutes to implement a skincare routine.
As the popular saying goes, prevention is better than cure. By spending those few minutes taking care of your skin beforehand, you won’t have to worry about your skin too much in the future.
If you’re completely new to facial skincare, below are some common terms used and their definition.
Terms used in skincare you should know
- Cleansing – This is simply the process of removing dirt, sweat and other impurities from your face through washing.
- Exfoliation – This is the process of removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. This can be done using a chemical, a granular substance or an exfoliation tool such as a sponge.
- Treatment – This refers to the removal of damaged skin through the use of advanced methods such as chemical peels, laser resurfacing and botox. Skin damage is typically a result of issues such as acne, age spots and wrinkles.
- Moisturizer – This is a product used to prevent dryness of the skin.
- Sunscreen – This is a product used to protect the skin from the harmful effects of sun rays.
- Sun Protection Factor – Commonly referred to as SPF. This is a measure of how well a sunscreen will protect skin from harmful sun rays. Most dermatologists recommend using a SPF 15 or SPF 30 sunscreen.
- Skin type – This refers to categories used to describe healthy skin. The four common skin types are normal, dry, oily and combination skin. Your skin type is mostly determined by genetics but can be affected by external factors such as diet and cosmetic products.
Now that you know the common terms used in skincare, below are some of the best products for a man’s face here in Kenya.
1. Arimi's Petrolatum Colorant-Free Jelly
Arimi’s is an affordable product that is quite effective at treating dry skin. It works as a moisturizer by creating an effective barrier around the skin that protects against the evaporation of the skin’s natural moisture.
2. Dr. Rashel Charcoal Black Soap
Black soap acts as a cleanser that removes harmful bacteria as well as dirt and impurities from the skin. It’s also an all-natural product made using plants originating in West Africa. If you have a beard, black soap is also quite effective at cleaning facial hair.
The CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser is a gentle exfoliator and a very highly rated cleanser. It contains many beneficial ingredients such as salicylic acid which is a chemical exfoliant that feels less harsh than physical ones like face scrubs.
This product is more on the expensive side but it’s totally worth it if you want a quality cleanser.
4. Cerave AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion With Sunscreen - SPF30
The CeraVe AM facial lotion not only moisturizes the skin but also offers sunscreen protection. This product is ideal for those days you’re out and about and exposed to the sun for extended hours.
5. Cerave PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion
This facial lotion from CeraVe is designed for nighttime use and is ideal for damaged skin that needs more attention. It provides moisture throughout the night that helps to repair skin damage and replenish the skin barrier.
6. The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
This product from the Ordinary offers deeper exfoliation to help fight visible blemishes and for improved skin radiance. This chemical exfoliator also improves the appearance of skin texture and reduces the look of fine lines with continued use.